Monday, November 28, 2011

Week 9 EOC: Emotional Photo


You look at this photo and you might think, "What's emotional about that?" Well to those that grew up in the generation of the Pop Princess, Britney Spears, you would feel emotional and feel a "connection" to this photo. The portrait was taken by famed photographer David LaChapelle. Personally LaChapelle is one of my favorite photographers for his use of color and shock value. He takes portraits in a style that makes you linger on the photo a little longer than you may have another photo. This photo holds an emotional connection to me because this was the first image we saw of Britney Spears that changed her image from girl next door to sex icon. What was controversial at the time was Britney Spears was only 18 years old. Though it wasn't illegally for her to pose this way it still shocked people when they saw the cover of Rolling Stone with their young daughter's favorite singer posing in such a provocative way. I mentioned before that I believe a good photograph is one that provokes an emotion. The photo doesn't need to be showing a war scene or a political figure. This photo at the time was shocking to my 13 year old self. But now at the age of 25 I see it as a great use of photography showcasing how we change in your lives. Celebrities change too. 

This is what I admire most about this photo. I no longer see a little girl laying on a bed, I now see one of the most famous women in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment